Specified benefits are paid to beneficiaries upon the death of insured person whilst in service. Benefits can be fixed amounts or can be based on earnings of the persons covered.
The Retirement Benefits Act 1997 added significantly to the bewildering number of statutory duties and obligations faced by the trustees of retirement benefits schemes.
The Pension trustees role has changed significantly in the past few years.
Previously considered a low profile, low-risk job, the position is now firmly in the legal and media spotlight. Certain widely publicised pension fund scandals e.g. The Maxwell scandal and the resulting implementation of stricter legislation mean that trustees are now far more accountable and personally liable for their actions and the operation of schemes over which they have control.
The pension fund trustee liability insurance provides protection for the trustees, the employees, the employer company and the scheme itself in event of claims brought against them. The policy provides cover for settlement on legal action and for the costs of defending the action.
Examples of where liability may arise.
- Unwise Investment Strategy
- Failure to identify dependents in terms of the Act
- Failure to correctly calculate the tax liability of a member upon withdrawal
- Failure to ensure that Administrators have sufficient fidelity cover
Personal Accident insurance can be taken by individuals. Accidents can happen anywhere – at home, whilst travelling for business or recreation or even while asleep. The families of accident victims may be denied their breadwinner, often at a time when debts are highest and savings lowest. Because they occur suddenly, few families are prepared to meet the huge hospitalization bills, continuing cost of education, mortgage repayments, outstanding credit card bills and other household bills to name but a few. Special nursing may be needed or house conversion to cope with the result of an accident.
Choose limits of cover for Death and Permanent Total Disablement of Kshs. 1,200,000 to Kshs. 12,000,000 for as little premiums as Kshs. 5,400 to Kshs. 53,940.
- Death and permanent total disablement.
- Hospital cash allowance for out of pocket expenditure while hospitalized.
- Temporary Total Disablement or loss of weekly income as a result.
- Medical Expenses – those expenses incurred reasonably as a result of an accidental injury to the insured.
- Artificial appliances – the aid employed in taking care of the injuries sustained from the accidents of the insured including wheelchair, crutches, glasses, etc.
- Funeral expenses.
Extensions available on request:
- Riot and Strike
- Ice Hockey
- Winter Sports
Note: Cover available to any person over 18 years of age engaged in gainful employment but up to the age of 70 years